Raised Square Doughnuts
Active dry yeast - 2 packages
Milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Crisco - 1/3 cup
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Eggs - 2
Crisco - as needed, for deep frying
1. In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups of flour with yeast; keep aside.
2. In a saucepan, put together milk, sugar, 1/3 cup Crisco and salt; heat until just warm and stir to melt Crisco.
3. Add the flour mixture to the saucepan and add eggs.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat mixture at low speed for ½ a minute; constantly scrape sides of the bowl.
5. Then, increase the speed to high and beat for 3 minutes.
6. Gradually add remaining flour and mix with hand to prepare a soft dough.
7. In a greased bowl, place the dough and turn once to grease all sides.
8. Cover bowl and chill for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
9. Remove dough from refrigerator and punch it down.
10. Grease a cookie sheet and keep ready.
11. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 3/8 inch thickness.
12. Using a cookie cutter, cut dough into squares.
13. On the greased cookie sheet, keep the squares and let stand for 30-40 minutes to rise and become light.
14. In a skillet, heat Crisco to 375° Fahrenheit and deep fry square doughnuts for 1 ½ minute on each side.
15. Drain over paper towel.
16. Immediately roll in sugar to coat surface.
17. Serve Raised Square Doughnuts as snacks.