Hot Sugared Doughnuts
|Plain flour||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Pate||1⁄4 Pint, warmed (150 Milliliter)|
|Butter||2 Ounce, melted (50 Gram)|
|Vegetable oil/Sunflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Raspberry jam||370 Gram|
1. Into a large bowl add the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt, mix and make a well in the middle.
2. Whip up the egg yolks, milk and melted butter together.
3. Add into the well and with a cutlery knife draw together.
4. The dough will seem wet and rough.
5. Let it stand for 10 minutes, after which it is a little firm.
6. Apply oil over the work surface and your hands.
7. Thereafter place the dough and knead for about 5 minutes such that it turns smoother and feels springy.
8. In case the dough is sticky continue oiling your hands.
9. Place it in an oiled, covered bowl letting it rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
10. Giving the dough another quick knead, shape into walnut-size balls.
11. Thereafter place on baking sheets, well spaced.
12. Cover again and leave to rise for 30 minutes-1 hour until risen and the dough no longer springs back when you prod it.
13. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
14. Let it bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and dark golden.
15. The dough can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month.
16. Defrost and reheat for few minutes in the oven.
17. In a pan melt 50g butter and put 50g sugar into a large bowl.
18. Let the doughnuts cool for a few minutes, then brush with butter and roll in sugar.
19. Into a piping bag with a 5mm nozzle add a few tablespoons jam.
20. Poking a hole in each doughnut, push in the nozzle squeezing in a little jam.
21. The doughnut is best served warm.
Calories 807 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.5%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 155.4 mg51.8%
Sodium 195.5 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 129 g43%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.3%
Sugars 71.4 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 83.9% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 2% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet