Cauliflower dough is considered to be gluten-free dough that is prepared by vegetarians as a gluten-free wheat dough substitute by grating the whole cauliflower and combining it with rice flour and flavoring agents . Other gluten containing versions are also made where cooks add pureed or grated cauliflower to wheat flour to make wheat-based cauliflower dough that is used to make pizza bases, noodles, flatbreads, savory loaves, cupcakes and muffins.
How to make Cauliflower Dough?
- Gluten free cauliflower dough is prepared by grating a cooked cauliflower and combining it with rice flour, oregano, parsley, egg and mozzarella cheese.
- Cauliflower may also be pureed or grated and combined with wheat flour, salt, spices and herbs to make thick dough as leavening agents are not used. The dough is rolled out pan fried and then served with pickles and yoghurt..
- Pureed cauliflower may also be combined with wheat flour along with spices, herbs and leavening agents to make cupcakes and savory loaves.
Popular Cauliflower Dough Recipes
- Cauliflower flatbread or gobi paranthas are a popular dish in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Unleavened cauliflower dough is rolled out and fried on a pan with clarified butter. The flatbreads are usually served with pickles and yoghurt.
- Gluten-free cauliflower dough pizzas and cauliflower sticks are made by rolling out the gluten-free cauliflower dough. The dough is topped with marinara sauce, cheese and other toppings and baked to form pizzas and cauliflower sticks.
- Cauliflower bread is made by using leavened wheat flour with pureed and spiced cauliflower paste in it. The dough is then baked into loaves, cupcakes or flatbreads.
Nutritional Value of Cauliflower Dough
A single serving of gluten-free cauliflower dough contains 434 calories. The total fat content is 25 g, the total carbohydrates value is 8 - 13 g and the total fiber content is 5 g. The total protein content is 41 g..