Beginner's One-Crust Pie Dough
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Ice water||6 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, mix together the salt and flour.
2) With the help of a pastry blender or fork, cut in the shortening till the mixture looks like cornmeal.
3) Add some ice water, a little bit at a time, to 1/3 portion of the prepared mixture.
4) Set the mixture aside.
5) Repeat the process, adding some more ice water, till all the portions are damp enough.
6) Gather the moist dough portions into a smooth ball and flatten it into a round.
7) Wrap the dough ball in a plastic wrap. Chill.
8) To roll out the doughs, flour a pie cloth, wax paper or board and with the help of a floured rolling pin, roll out the pastry.
9) Place the pastry in the center of the prepared floured surface and starting in the center of the dough, roll to, but not over, the dough-€™s top edge.
10) Return to the center again, and roll down to, but not over, the dough-€™s bottom edge.
11) Prick the dough in places and turn it a quarter circle. This will ensure that the pastry is round and also prevent it from sticking.
12) Repeat the rolling and quarter turns processes till you have a round that is 1/8-inch thick and 1 ½-inches larger than the pan to be used for baking.
13) Fold the pastry into quarters.
14) In a pie pan, place the pastry with the tip of the triangle in the center; unfold.
15) Trim the pastry about an inch larger than the pie pan. Fold the overhanging pastry under itself.
16) To garnish, around the pastry-€™s edge, press the tines of a fork. In order to make a fluted pattern, use two thumbs to pinch the dough all around the edge to ensure that the dough-€™s edge stands up.
17) Put the pastry in the freezer or chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before baking.
18) To prebake the crust, preheat oven to temperature of 425 degrees.
19) Crumple a piece of wax paper and spread it out to the pie pan-€™s edges.
20) To make a weight, fill the paper with dried peas or raw rice.
21) Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
22) Remove the paper and rice or peas very carefully.
23) Use the crust to make pies or tarts. To store, place in a plastic bag and put in the freezer. Before filling the shell, simply thaw it if frozen and fill and bake. If serving without filling, bake for 10 more minutes and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1630 Calories from Fat 1073
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 122 g186.9%
Saturated Fat 30.2 g151.1%
Trans Fat 15.8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 979.6 mg40.8%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.9%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 16 g32.3%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 2.8% Iron 40.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet