Haricots Verts In Phyllo
|Haricots verts/Small green beans||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Frozen phyllo dough||10 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
1) Rinse the beans well without trimming off their ends.
2) In a steamer, place the beans on a removable rack and steam them for about 7 minutes on high heat.
3) Rinse the beans under cold water. Drain and keep aside.
4) Defrost the phyllo dough and lay it out on a flat surface. Slice out 4-inch strips from all its thicknesses.
5) Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease a large baking sheet with butter.
6) Take one of the phyllo strip while keeping the others covered under a damp cloth. Brush the entire 4-inches of the dough with a little butter. Fold it in half lengthwise and brush with a little butter once again.
7) Place about 12 beans on top of the strip of dough. Roll the strip around two times and slice off any extra pieces.
8) Repeat the procedure with all the dough strips and until all the beans are rolled up in dough.
9) Arrange the bands of dough on the baking sheet. Wrap any exposed ends of beans with foil to avoid burning while baking.
10) Bake the dough for about 10 minutes until crisp and brown. Remove the dough from the oven and keep warm outside.
11) With the remaining phyllo sheets make bows for each set of beans. Take one phyllo sheet at a time from under the damp towel and place it narrow side towards you.
12) Brush the sheet with butter and cut into strips of 3 inches. Quickly, fold together the centre of each strip together in the shape of a bow. Make one such bow for each set of beans.
13) Arrange the bows on the baking tray and bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Keep a close eye on them to avoid burning.
14) Serve the Haricot Vert bundles on a serving platter with a bow on top of each.
The phyllo dough bows can be baked a day ahead and stored overnight in airtight containers.
Calories 230 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g20.8%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg10.1%
Sodium 182.1 mg7.6%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.2%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 1.9%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 6.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet