Foie Gras In Phyllo
|Foie gras||1⁄2 Pound, cooked|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Port||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 Small, zest freshly grated|
|Orange||1 Small, zest freshly grated|
|Lemon||1 Small, juiced|
|Orange||1 Small, juiced|
|Whole black peppercorns||5|
|Shallot||1 , thinly sliced|
|Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Phyllo dough sheets||4|
|Clarified butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped herbs||1 Teaspoon (like parsley, thyme, chervil, oregano)|
|Pink peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Chives||2 (1/4 inch pieces)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In the food processor, add the foie gras and puree to get a smooth paste.
3) In a bowl, add the cream and whisk to form stiff peaks. Fold in the cream gently into the foie gras. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and pepper and mix well.
4) Chill the foie gras mixture.
5) In a saucepan, add port, lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice and orange juice. Also add in the black peppercorns and shallot. Let the mixture come to a boil until it reduces to about 1/2 cup.
6) Take the saucepan off the flame, let cool and then strain into a small bowl. Add in oil and whisk well before setting the bowl aside.
7) Place a phyllo sheet on a flat surface. Sprinkle a mixture of butter and chopped herb mixture. Place a sheet of phyllo on top and sprinkle more butter and herb mixture. Place a third sheet of phyllo and top this as well with the butter and herb mixture.
8) Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 20 circles from the dough sheet. Place the 20 circles on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.
9) Let the circles cool down for about 20 minutes.
10) Place a tablespoon of the foie gras mixture on one circle. Place a circle over it and add another tablespoon of foie gras on it. Do this to get 4 stacks of 5 circles each.
11) Take four individual serving plates. Arrange a stack of foie gras pastries in the centre. Garnish with pink peppercorns
Place these layered foie gras pastries in the center of 4 individual serving plates. Drizzle the citrus vinaigrette around it.
12) Garnish each plate with the pink peppercorns and chopped chives.
Calories 520 Calories from Fat 337
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.6%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 315.9 mg105.3%
Sodium 294.7 mg12.3%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.5%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 12 g24.1%
Vitamin A 362.3% Vitamin C 86.6%
Calcium 9% Iron 101%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet