San Francisco Sourdough
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Sourdough starter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Combine water and yeast until bubbly. Do not stir.
2. Combine sourdough starter, whole wheat flour, sugar, and salt with yeast mixture. Stir until smooth, about 3 minutes. Let sit until double in bulk.
3. Add baking soda and unbleached flour. Knead about 5 to 8 minutes on a floured surface.
4. Shape into 2 round or oblong loaves and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Cover; let rise until double in bulk.
5. Brush with 1 tablespoon water and 1 egg white which have been lightly beaten together.
6. Bake at 400Â° for 40 to 55 minutes with a shallow pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. The additional moisture will create a crisp crust on the bread.