Caramel Divinity Roll
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Chopped red candied cherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green candied cherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Caramels||14 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (For Caramels)|
|Canned pecans||6 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
1. Combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Bring quickly to boiling, stirring constantly. Wrap a fork with damp paper toweling; wipe the sugar crystals from the side of the pan as the mixture cooks.
2. Reduce heat to medium; cook, without stirring, to 260° on a candy thermometer. (A spoonful of syrup forms a hard ball when dropped in cold water.)
3. When syrup reaches 250°, beat egg whites and salt until they stand in firm peaks in a large bowl of electric mixer. Beating constantly, pour hot syrup very slowly into egg whites. (If you don't have a standard mixer, have someone in the family beat, while you pour.) Continue beating until mixture is very stiff, and holds marks of beater (about 7 minutes).
4. Stir in candied fruits until well distributed. Turn out mixture onto a buttered cookie sheet; divide in half; shape each half into a roll 2 inches wide and 8 inches long. Allow to dry on cookie sheet about 1 hour.
5. Melt caramels with 1 tablespoon water in top of double boiler, over hot water, stirring several times.
6. Spread pecans on a large sheet of waxed paper. Working with one roll at a time, spread with caramel mixture; roll in pecans to coat well.
7. Wrap each roll in foil or plastic; store at room temperature. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.