|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rum flavoring||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Red Colored)|
|Finely chopped pistachios/Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green food coloring||4 Drop|
• Line a 10x6x2-inch baking dish with foil, extending foil over edges of dish. Butter the foil; set dish aside.
• In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup, and water. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 5 to 7 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
• Cook mixture over medium heat, without stirring, till thermometer registers 260°, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching hard ball stage should take about 15 minutes.
• Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. In a large mixer bowl, immediately begin to beat egg whites with a sturdy, freestanding electric mixer on medium speed till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
• Gradually pour hot mixture in a thin stream (slightly less than 1/8 inch diameter) over egg whites, beating with the electric mixer on high speed and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. This should take about 3 minutes. (Add mixture slowly to ensure proper blending.)
• Add rum flavoring. Continue beating with electric mixer on high speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally, just till candy starts to lose its gloss. When beaters are lifted, mixture should fall in a ribbon, but mound on itself and not disappear into remaining mixture. Final beating should take 5 to 6 minutes.
• Immediately spread one-third of the candy into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the chopped candied cherries. Quickly stir finely chopped pistachios or almonds and food coloring into the remaining candy. Immediately spread over cherry layer in baking dish. When candy is firm, use foil to lift it out of dish; cut into 1-inch squares. Store tightly covered.