Cauliflower dip is a dipping sauce made by combining cauliflower with various ingredients like mayonnaise, yogurt, onions, sour milk, and several seasonings and spices. The dip can be either served warm or chilled, and goes well along with crackers, chips, and vegetables. Spice can be added to the dip with the addition of curry powder, mustard seeds, and jalapeno. There are a number of variations of this dip, of which cauliflower ranch dip, Indian spiced cauliflower dip, and Greek cauliflower dip are a few popular ones.
Commonly Used Ingredients and Preparation Overview of Cauliflower Dips
There are quite a number of variations of cauliflower dip, varying in terms of ingredients used. Among numerous variations, one of the recipes suggests the use of cauliflower, green onions, green olives, and mayonnaise.
The dip is prepared by blending together mayonnaise and olives (liquid drained), and then combining the mix with finely chopped cauliflower and onions. The dip is refrigerated before serving.
Cauliflower Dip Recipe Variations
A few variations of cauliflower based dip are discussed hereunder:
- Indian-spiced cauliflower dip- it is a low-fat and creamy textured spread, made with sour cream and low-fat yoghurt. Mustard seeds, onions, and curry powder are sautéed in oil for some time, before adding sugar and salt. Thereafter, the mix is mashed with boiled cauliflower, yogurt, sour cream, chopped cilantro, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Spicy cheddar-jack cauliflower dip- this is a spicy dip prepared by combining cooked cauliflower with cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, jalapeno, and spinach. The dip is baked in oven for around half an hour, and garnished with some shredded cheese before serving.
- Cauliflower ranch dip- cauliflower is broken into florets and cooked in boiling water, before pureeing it with green onions. Thereafter, sour cream and ranch dressing mix (a mixture of buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and crushed green onions) are stirred in and the dip is refrigerating before serving. It is recommended not to refrigerate the dip for more than eight hours; else the flavor may get too intense.
- Greek cauliflower dip- the recipe for Greek style dip suggests boiling together chicken broth, garlic, and cauliflower florets, pureeing them until smooth, and adding feta cheese, dried oregano, salt, and ground pepper at the end.
Serving Cauliflower Dips
- The dip is popularly served with toasted baguette (toasted French bread).and pita chips (chips prepared from pita bread).
- It can also be served with assorted fresh vegetables.
- Cauliflower dip also goes well with crackers.