Holiday Series: # 2 Spinach & Artichoke Dip Appetizer
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Frozen chopped spinach||16 Ounce|
|Frozen artichoke hearts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Seasoning mix||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For the cheese sauce|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pepper jack cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
|Gruyere cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Greek yogurt||3 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes||1 Medium, dice (Optional)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated (Optional)|
1. Place the spinach in a medium size bowl and thaw thoroughly in the microwave using the defrost setting.
2. Place the spinach in a piece of cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out all of the excess water. Set aside.
3. Thaw the frozen artichokes and chop them and keep it aside.
4. Place a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Pour in 3 tablespoons of olive oil and allow it to become slightly heated, takes about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the garlic to the olive oil and cook for 1 minute. Next, add the spinach and artichokes and sauté for about 5 minutes.
6. Season with salt, black pepper, Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning, and nutmeg. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
7. Using the same skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. After about 1 or 2 minutes pour in the flour and stir to combine.
8. Stir until the mixture is a light blonde color, takes about 3 to 4 minutes. Next, pour in the chicken stock and stir to combine. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir in the pepper jack cheese, gruyere cheese, and Greek yogurt.
10. Add the spinach and artichokes back to the pan and stir. Taste and adjust the seasonings to taste.
11. Serve hot with tortilla chips, pita chips, or bruschetta.
Beware of hot spots in the spinach while squeezing.
Calories 174 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.4%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.6 mg5.5%
Sodium 270.3 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.9%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 8 g15.6%
Vitamin A 112.1% Vitamin C 32.1%
Calcium 22.2% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet