In this video, National Hot Dog & Sausage Council President Janet Riley prepares a unique appetizer that is sure to be a big hit at any tailgate. This video series includes hot dog and sausage recipes that you can cook entirely or partially ahead of time for your tailgate menu.
Canned crushed tomatoes
28 Ounce (1 can)
Chopped green onion
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (green tops included)
Red pepper sauce
Shredded cheddar jack cheese
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. In a food processor, place the hot dogs pieces and process it until minced and pureed.
2. In the slow cooker, put together hot dog meat, tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese, red pepper sauce and pepper.
3. Cover the cooker and let it cook for about 1½ hours or until the sauce is steaming hot and cheesy.
4. Transfer the hot mixture into a foil pan, cover with a foil and cook it in indirect heat for 20 minutes.
5. Serve warm with tortilla chips or scoops.
You can make this ahead of time, cool it and refrigerate or freeze it until needed.