Roasted Aubergine Dip With Pita Strips
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Sesame oil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Salad leaves||4 (To Serve)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas Mark 4. On a chopping board cut the pitta breads into strips. Spread the bread in a single layer on to a large baking tray.
2. Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden and crisp. Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
3. Trim the aubergines, rinse lightly and reserve. Heat a griddle pan until almost smoking. Cook the aubergines and garlic for about 15 minutes.
4. Turn the aubergines frequently, until very tender with wrinkled and charred skins. Remove from heat. Leave to cool.
5. When the aubergines are cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out the cooked flesh and place in a food processor.
6. Squeeze the softened garlic flesh from the papery skin and add to the aubergine.
7. Blend the aubergine and garlic until smooth, then add the sesame oil, lemon juice and cumin and blend again to mix.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley and serve with the pitta strips and mixed salad leaves.