Fresh Pack Dills
|Pickling cucumbers||9 Pound (5 inch)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Canning/pickling)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||5 Cup (80 tbs) (5% acid strength)|
|Pickling spices||To Taste|
|Mustard seeds||16 Teaspoon|
1) Wash cucumbers; cut 1/16" off blossom end.
2) In 3-gal crock, place the cucumbers.
3) Make brine by adding 1 1/2 c salt to 2 gals water.
4) Cover thr cucumbers with the brine and cover the crock.
5) Let stand 12-18 hours in cool place.
6) Drain the cucumbers.
7) In 5-qt kettle, combine 3/4 c salt, sugar, 9 c water and vinegar.
8) Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth bag; add to pot.
9) Boil the liquid.
10) Let stand while you pack jars.
11) In the 8 sterilized hot quart jars, pack the cucumbers
12) Place 3 dill heads and 2 tsp mustard seeds in each jar.
13) Reheat syrup to boiling; remove spice bag.
14) Pour liquid over cucumbers, filling to within 1/4" of jar top.
15) Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.
16) Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
17) Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boil.
18) Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type.
19) Serve the pickled cucumbers as side dish or use them to make sandwiches.