Dilled Shrimp in Aspic
|Frozen shrimp||1 Pound, shelled, and deveined (1 Package)|
|Fresh dill||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Onion||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned chicken broth||28 Ounce (2 Cans Of 14 Ounce Each)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Creamy dressing||3 Tablespoon|
1. Follow package directions while making the shrimp, drain and cool. Spoon out several even-sized shrimps, reserve them for final decoration. Cut the remaining shrimps into ½ inch pieces, and add them to the medium-sized bowl.
2. Halve the cucumber and slice one half of it thinly, reserve it for final decoration. Pare and deseed the remaining half and cut them into ½ inch pieces. Add to the bowl along with diced shrimp. Add onion, chopped dill, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Allow to stand for an hour, and drain well.
3. Spoon of the fat from chicken broth, and discard it. Add gelatin to 1 cup of the broth and soften it by heating for about 5 minutes. Heat constantly, until the gelatin dissolves and add the remaining chicken broth into the medium-sized bowl. Spoon 2 tbsp lemon juice and create decorative shapes by cutting pimientos.
4. Take a 6- cup ring mold and pour ½ cup of gelatin into its bottom. Place this mold in a large bowl filled with mixture of water and ice until the mixture turns sticky-firm. Place the reserved shrimp, pimiento cutouts, cucumber slices and dill fronds in aspic in the bottom of mold. Add several tablespoons of liquid aspic over this decoration. Chill again until the mixture turns sticky firm.
5. Chill the remaining gelatin mixture by placing it in ice bowl, until it resembles unbeaten egg white in texture. Add water to speed the setting. Add the cucumber mixture and drained shrimps and stir it well. Spoon this mixture gently over decorated layer in the mold. Chill for atleast 4 hours until the mixture turns firm. It is always best leave it over night.
6. Loosen the edges of salad mold using knife. Dip it in and out of the hot water. Cover the salad pan with serving plate and turn it upside down. Gently tap it until the salad comes out.
7. Arrange cucumber slices around the salad, top it with dill sprigs and creamy dressing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 988 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.7%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 894.8 mg298.3%
Sodium 2893.2 mg120.5%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.5%
Sugars 19.2 g
Protein 165 g330.1%
Vitamin A 160.9% Vitamin C 360.2%
Calcium 28.2% Iron 105.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet