1) For the pickled cucumbers, trim the ends off and cut into 1/8-inch slices.
2) If using fresh cucumbers, first peel and then cut into 1/8 inch slices.
3) In a bowl, mix 1tablespoon of salt and cucumber and let it soak for 1 hour.
4) Rinse and drain 3 times with cold water.
5) In a saucepan add cider vinegar, dill seed, bay leaf, garlic, remaining salt and 1 cup of water.
6) Bring to a quick boil.
7) Boil for 1 minute, remove from heat let it cool.
8) Squeeze the cucumber.
9) In a small bowl, place the cucumbers, add fresh dill sprigs and the cooled brine.
10) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour