Spastic Colon Diet
Spastic Colon Diet refers to genre of foods or food ingredients that aid in easing the symptoms of spastic colon. Spastic colon is the synonym for IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The people affected with the disease often complain about the severe stomach aches and spasms. The severity of these symptoms may vary from person to person. Most of the health experts will advice to avoid or eat certain foods during the painful spastic colon episodes. According to American Academy of Family Physicians, the spastic colon is manageable with a proper diet.
Spastic Colon Diet: Foods to Eat
- Probiotics: Probiotics are loaded with bacteria which help in digestion. According to the researchers at Mayo Clinic the probiotics are useful in alleviating the symptoms of Irritable Bowel syndrome. Also, they may aid in decreasing the frequency of stools. Some of the good examples of probiotics include soy drinks, yogurt, milk and juices.
- Fiber: They are strongly recommended for a healthy colon because fibers aid in regularizing the functions of digestive system and ease the instances of constipation which is mostly experienced in cases of spastic colon. But again the AAFP health experts say that sudden increase in fiber intake may lead to unpleasant instances of bloating and gas. So, fibers should be added to the food routine in slow but peaceful manner.
- Folic Acid: Eating foods high in folic acid is one of the best ways of restoring the colon health. Cereals, whole wheat breads and other foods rich in folic acid should be eaten in abundance if the sufferer is strictly adhering to irritable bowel syndrome diet.
Spastic Colon Diet: Foods to Avoid
- Dairy Products: Dairy products like milk and cheese may trigger the symptoms of disease like diarrhea. So, during the bout of spastic colon these foods should be completely eliminated from the diet.
- Alcohol and Caffeinated Drinks: Caffeine is a strong stimulant and it may irritate the bowel. It can worsen the symptoms of diarrhea similarly alcohol can also harm the stomach. It is strongly recommended to stay away from both during the course of treatment.
- Fatty Foods: Diarrhea and constipation are the well-known symptoms of the disease. The consumption of fatty foods during the episodes of spastic colon can be detrimental because they can induce severe bouts of diarrhea, so it is highly recommended that the fatty foods should be slashed from the spastic colon diet.