Osteoporosis diet is the diet which helps in treating the Osteoporosis disease alongside strengthening the bones. People suffering from osteoporosis often suffer from brittle bones, and experience severe pain in joints. Under such circumstances they are advised to eat foods rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium and Vitamins like C and D. Vitamin D and calcium are especially vital for restoring bone health. Osteoporosis can be induced by a variety of factors such as menopause, irregular periods, medications, etc. The symptoms and severity of this disease can be curbed with the help of a proper diet.
Osteoporosis Diet: Characteristics
The best way to treat osteoporosis is by eating a balanced diet incorporating lots of fruits, beans, vegetables, and dairy products. Small amounts of lean meat, dry fruits and oily fish are also considered good for bone health. The consumption of red meat, caffeine and chocolate are essentially avoided. Also, the excess consumption of Vitamins like Vitamin A (from dairy and fish) in the form of retinol is not advisable because it enhances the risk of broken bones.
Following foods when added to the diet can prove to be beneficial for bones:
- Herbs and Spices: Herbs like rosemary, parsley, basil, thyme, peppermint leaves, and spices like cinnamon, garlic, and oregano when added to the food delivers a boost in taste while adding to bone density.
- Dairy: Dairy products like cheese, yogurt and whole milk are considered as rich source of calcium and should be an integral part of any osteoporosis diet. The whole milk is also good source of estrogen too which is a hormone necessary for the nourishment of bones.
- Beans: Baked beans, kidney beans, white beans and pinto beans are good source of calcium.
- Vegetables and Greens: Greens like mustard greens, collard, Brussel sprouts, Crimini mushrooms, summer squash – etc comprises nutrients which are necessary for the bone health.
Osteoporosis Diet: Guidelines
Some foods should be avoided when a person is on strict diet for curbing the severity of osteoporosis:
- Salt consumption should be lessened.
- Sugar and alcohol consumption should be limited.
- Processed Meats and preserved meats should be avoided to the maximum because they contain sodium.
- Refined grains should be avoided and replaced with whole grains.
- Carbonated beverages should be avoided because they contain phosphoric acid which can excrete the calcium out of the body along with urine.
- Baked products and fast foods should not be consumed.
- Lots of potassium rich foods can be included in the Osteoporosis diet as they help to increase the sodium absorption.