Menstruation diet is meant for women who suffer from severe PMS and also related issue such as endometriosis and dysmenorrhea, PID, cysts, fibroids, and an irregular cycle. During the menstruation cycle, different women suffer from different symptoms owing to the hormonal imbalance with some of them being severe and more serious than others. The diet plan in such cases cannot be a common for all people. Certain foods aggravate the condition and certain foods help in reducing the spasms and the pain. In such cases it is essential to consume the right kind of foods.
Well-balanced Diet Plan during Menstruation
Women tend to go through a hormonal imbalance during menstruation and they also undergo temporary physical and emotional disturbance. At times like this, menstruation diet plays a major role in reviving the nutrients that are depleted from the body. The foods that help in easing out the physical and biological discomfort during menstruation are –
- Whole grain foods such as brown rice, oats, corn rye, buckwheat, amaranth, brown flour, etc.
- Unprocessed or Minimally Processed foods such as tofu, miso, yogurt, etc.
- Organically & bio-dynamically produced foods are also good as they are not only delicious but contain more of vitamins and vitamins, which are essential during menstruation to compensate for the loss of energy.
- Root vegetables and green leafy vegetables are especially good during menstruation, since they are rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Legumes such as lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, black-eyed beans, split peas, lima beans, etc., are rich in fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- White meats such as fish are very good during menstruation.
- Fresh fruits (as per availability) are very good as they are rich in fiber and are a good source of vitamins.
Ingredients that Balance the Hormone Levels during Menstruation
Herbs are known to improve the hormonal levels during menstruation; hence it is suggested to include these in the menstruation diet. The herbs that are beneficial are –
- Sarsaparilla – This contains testosterone and progesterone.
- False Uniform Root – This is uterine tonic that contains plant estrogens that help in restoring the normal reproductive functions.
- Chase tree – This helps in correcting the progesterone deficiencies. Other than that it also helps in reducing PMS symptoms and also lengthens the menstruation cycles.
- Dong Quai – This reduces the spasms and pain associated with menstruation. It also regulates the cycles.
- Shepherds Purse – This is essential to control the flow of blood during menstruation.
- Squa Vine – This is very good for regularizing the flow of blood. It acts as a uterine tonic.
Foods to be avoided during Menstruation
- Seeds and nuts such as peanuts and peanut butter and pistachios should be avoided as they tend to contain mold.
- It is important that stale foods are not included in the menstruation diet.