Lymphoma diet is the diet meant for people suffering from cancer of the lymphocytes (white blood cells). In this case, the immune system gets affected the most. Such people generally go through severe treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation which leave them weak and sore. Along with that they also suffer from nausea and severe vomiting, leaving them even more weak sans all nutrition. At times like this it is imperative that they are put on an easy to digest diet at regular intervals which consist of small meals. This not only helps in maintaining their body weight but also helps regularizing the eating habits.
Essentials of Diet for Lymphoma Patients
Lymphoma diet like any other cancer diet needs to be enriched with a lot of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, protein, amino acids, carbohydrates, etc. The suggested diet plan for these patients is a macrobiotic diet, which means that the diet plan needs to include around 50-60% of whole grains and the rest would include vegetables, fruits and other types of grains – this is also known as the ‘yin-yang’diet. The diet of lymphoma patients should include water and water-based beverages, as they tend to have a dry mouth which is a result of heavy medication and other severe treatments.
A well-balance diet plan of Lymphoma patients needs to include –
- Lots of fiber (foliate) – this can be obtained from various fruits such as bananas, oranges, sweet lime, etc., and other foods rich in fiber such as legumes, pulses such as chick peas, bran breakfast cereals, wheat germ, vegetables such as broccoli, which is one of the best sources of foliate.
- Proteins – this can be obtained from beans, legumes, pulses, etc., preferably steamed, boiled, sautéed, simmered, etc.
- Vitamins such as vitamin A and C (which the cancer patients tend to lose a lot) – these can be obtained from liver, broccoli, sweet potato, butter, spinach, kale, collard greens, etc.
- Minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, etc., - these can be found in foods that include spinach, bananas, beans, peanuts, wheat germ, sesame seeds, etc.
Benefits of a Well-balanced Lymphoma Diet
A well balanced lymphoma diet plan can help cancer patients go a long way. In fact, the harsh treatments these patients go through tend to leave them more psychologically weak when compared to their physical weakness. At times like this, regular physical exercise along with a healthy diet at regular intervals ensures -
- Improved immune system
- Increased energy levels
- Better supply of oxygen to the lungs thus ensuring improved breathing
- Improved appetite
- Most importantly higher confidence level.
While foods such as eggs, red meat, dairy products, greasy foods are totally avoided, foods such as beans, soups, nuts, white fish and soy products make up an ideal lymphoma diet.