Liver Cancer Diet
Liver cancer diet is comprises the foods that are prescribed for patients suffering from cancer of liver. Like any other type of cancer, liver cancer too is quite critical and people suffering from this are required to take proper care and follow a healthy diet. Like any other cancer diet, even this cancer needs a diet plan comprising of all nutrients that include vitamins, minerals, proteins, fiber, carbohydrates, etc.
Diet Plan for Liver Cancer Patients
Cancer patients have a tough time coping up with the simple day to day chores because of their low energy levels, which is a result of their heavy medication and other severe treatments they go through. However, they can be given a good well-covered liver cancer diet that comprises all the necessary ingredients such as whole grains, protein rich foods such as legumes, pulses, vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. Whatever may be the dish, it is important that the ingredients used are thoroughly cleaned and well cooked. Some necessary ingredients that complete this diet are -
- Vegetables in any form, preferably stewed, steamed and sautéed. These should be rich in vitamins and minerals that are absolutely necessary for people suffering from liver cancer.
- Foods that are rich in amino acids and arginine such as chocolates, hazelnuts, coconut and sunflower seeds are essential.
- It is important to eat foods cooked with safflower, perilla and olive oil as these are rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, which control the cancer.
- Potassium rich foods such as bananas, citrus and pomegranate juices are also very important.
- Jerusalem artichokes contain inulin which helps in controlling liver tumor.
- Herbs such as bitter orange contain monoterpenes and help in controlling liver cancer, especially the growth of tumors in the liver.
- Protein fortified foods are necessary for people suffering from cancer.
- Fiber rich foods should also be part of the liver cancer diet.
- White meats such as baked and grilled fish are essential.
Foods to be avoided by Liver Cancer Patients
People suffering from liver cancer should avoid certain foods such as chips, fried foods, biscuits, breads, salt, red meat, fried beans, animal and Trans fat, alcohol, etc.
Diet for Liver Cancer Patients – Trivia
Since, most cancer patients need to go through chemotherapy, their mouth tends to dry and the best way to get rid of the dryness is to drink lots of fluids in the form of juices, green tea, and of course water. Other than liquids, it is absolutely essential to include lots of phosphates and most importantly calories in the liver cancer diet.