Leukemia diet is meant for people suffering from cancer of the blood cells, white blood cells to be specific. Since the immunity of people suffering from any form of cancer is very low and such people tend to fall sick faster, it is crucial that they are given a diet that substantiates for their loss of energy and the overall health. This kind of diet would give longevity to cancer sufferers and those who are being treated for the same. People suffering from leukemia or blood cancer are supposed to be well-nourished and this is possible with a well-balanced diet. This diet should include some important ingredients that comprise of minerals, vitamins, proteins, fat, carbohydrates and other essential nutrients.
Diet Plan of Leukemia Patients
The treatment that cancer patients go through tends to deplete them of all the energy as they lose a lot of blood cells and that is the reason they need to have a well-balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, low fat protein such as fish and poultry and whole grains. The leukemia diet should include –
- Lots of plant foods such as leafy vegetables and other vegetables. These are rich in minerals and vitamins. Vegetables can be eaten as boiled vegetables, stews, juices, etc.
- Lots of fruits such as bananas, sweet lime, apples, cherries, melons, etc. These are rich in vitamins and minerals. The fruits can be eaten raw, stewed and consumed even as juices.
- Legumes such as beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, alfalfa, etc. These are rich in vitamins such as B1 (thiamine), B9 (folic acid) and vitamin E and also rich in fiber. These are best consumed in boiled form and also as soups.
- Whole grains such as rice, wheat, bulgur, oatmeal, corn, etc. These grains are rich in minerals, carbohydrates, fiber, etc. These grains are consumed in the form of breads, flat breads, as cereals, etc.
- Low fat meats such as fish, poultry and cured meats. These contain proteins, fat, nitrites, nitrosamines, etc. These can be consumed as broiled and stewed foods.
- Fortified protein powders, which help in maintaining the high protein level that is required in cancer patients.
Leukemia Diet Benefits
There are many benefits of including a well-planned out leukemia diet. Some crucial health benefits are –
- Improved immune system
- Ability to sustain many kinds of viral infections
- Better digestion and bowel movement
- Better functioning of the heart
- Improved blood circulation
Leukemia Diet – Trivia
Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants and studies have shown that when this tea is included in the leukemia diet, it tends to boost the immune system and also flush out the toxins present in the body.