High Cholesterol Diet
High cholesterol diet comprises foods which are recommended to people who have higher than normal cholesterol levels, a condition which is also termed as hypercholesterolemia or hyperlipidemia. The cholesterol level in the body keeps changing and is majorly influenced by the factors like diet, weight, physical activity, gender and age.
The fatty substance in the body that helps the blood to flow smoothly through the arteries and veins is called cholesterol. Sometimes, due to fatty diets, living style and age factors, the cholesterol starts depositing in the blood vessels and leads to heart strokes and diseases. There are not any quick apparent symptoms to know about the rising cholesterol in the body and it also does not affect in a day or month. The dangers of high cholesterol are felt after a long duration. It is very important to get rid of this accumulated cholesterol by means of physical exercise and healthy food.
Recommended Hyperlipidemia Foods
- Whole grain foods- The whole grain foods like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, oat bran and rye are some of the whole grain foods ideal for consumption during high cholesterol. These foods are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. The nutrition found in these foods helps getting rid of high cholesterol.
- Vegetable and fruits- One of the healthiest food options for getting rid of high cholesterol is to switch to a fruit and vegetable diet. Apples, grapes, strawberries and fruits rich in vitamin C have proved to be very effective in this condition. Okra, eggplant, spinach, broccoli, cabbage and many other green leafy vegetables are recommended in high cholesterol diet.
- Omega 3 Fatty acids- The omega 3 fatty acid nutrients are important for the human cells. The consumption of these nutrients not only controls high level of cholesterol but also reduces the chances of heart disease. Halibut, sardines, salmon, tuna and herring are some of the fatty fish containing a good amount of omega 3 fatty acids. For those who live on vegetarian diet, these nutrients can be found in flaxseed oil, canola oil and nuts.
High Cholesterol Diet Restrictions
When suffering from high cholesterol, it is very important to cut down on foods that are responsible for increasing it. Here are some of the foods that are major contributor to high cholesterol level
- Eggs- eggs contain maximum cholesterol. A yolk of the egg has 213 mg cholesterol.
- Whole milk dairy product
- Shell fish e.g. shrimp
- Organ meats like brain and kidney
- Goose and duck- These animals have higher cholesterol when compared to chicken or turkey.
- Trans fatty foods- The foods that are rich in trans fats are margarines, cookies, fried food stuff and bakery items.
Other Dietary Recommendation For High Cholesterol Diet
- Physical exercise- For the individuals suffering from high cholesterol, a 30 minute exercise is recommended. The physical effort helps in bringing the cholesterol down.
- Weight loss- The people who are overweight are more prone to have high levels of cholesterol. The fat deposits in the abdomen are the major factors of heart disease. Weight reduction is therefore recommended for people who are overweight and are following a high cholesterol diet.