Food Allergies Diet
Food allergies diet program, also popularly known as elimination diet program, specifically focuses on eliminating those foods from the regular diet which trigger allergy. The immune system of the human being is not able to recognize certain foods or ingredients at times, hence, leading to an adverse effect, which may occur in the form of yeast infection, diverticulitis, irritable bowel symptoms, asthma, migraine, eczema, and rashes.
The immune functioning of one individual differs from that of the other, and naturally, the foods which may be allergic might also differ from one person to another. However, there are a few common foods which cause allergy in most of the cases, which include eggs, peanuts, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat and soy. In maximum cases, it is the protein content present in these foods which cause food allergy. So, a regular food allergies diet program emphasises on eliminating milk, eggs and various other allergy causing food items from the diet plan and including vegetables, fruits and fish in the diet. In most of the cases, this basic criteria of eliminating certain allergic foods and including healthy foods in the diet helps considerably in getting rid of food allergies.
Features of Elimination Diet Plan
In order to deal with food allergies, it is essential to follow a proper diet plan and remove certain foods from diet, so that the immune system keeps functioning optimally and any kind of allergy is avoided. Here are some of the features of the food allergies diet program which would help in dealing with food allergies effectually:
- First of all, it is important to identify the foods which cause allergy. In this context it is recommended to eliminate certain foods from diet for around a week’s time. The foods which should be removed from diet for a few days consist of the following:
- Eggs and egg based products
- Citrus fruits
- Processed foods
- Dairy products (soy based cheese and milk can be consumed instead)
- Gluten based foods like wheat, barley, potatoes, brown rice, millet and oats
- In the next step, it is advised to include one food group at a time in the diet program after an interval of every five days. A period of five days would be quite enough to determine whether a particular food item is allergic or not.
- Once the allergic food item is determined, it is suggested to eliminate the same from the dietary plan forever, so as to live a healthy life.
Elimination Diet Program: Trivia
In case, an individual is not able to determine the food category which causes the adverse reactions, the food allergies diet program suggests going on fasting for five days and living only on spring water during that time period. However, this strict step is only suggested in extreme conditions.