Flatulence diet refers to the group of foods and ingredients which are helpful in curbing the symptoms associated with flatulence, an uneasy condition of the stomach, mostly induced by bloating and indigestion. People suffering from flatulence often pass wind frequently or pass foul smelling wind. As most of the cases of flatulence can be easily alleviated by making dietary changes, but, if the condition aggravates then the symptoms may vary from sudden weight loss, blood in stools, episodes of constipation and diarrhea, bowel upset etc.
Flatulence Diet: Foods To Consume
If a person is following a strict flatulence diet then following foods can help to alleviate the symptoms related to the condition:
- Herbal Teas: Herbal teas aid in digestion and are known to prevent inflammation of intestine and inhibit the formation of gases. Drinking herbal teas will also equip the person to fight against many severe as well as small ailments.
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt and probiotic yogurts are loaded with beneficial bacteria which can inhibit the markers that are responsible for indigestion. Daily consumption of yogurt in moderate amounts can be beneficial in reducing the instances of flatulence and in regularizing the digestion.
- High Fiber: Foods that are rich in soluble fiber are easier for digestion. Also, fiber aids in intestinal peristalsis. Citrus fruits are rich in fibers but they should be completely avoided because they can trigger flatulence. Also, the high fiber foods like vegetables and fruits should be accompanied with large amount of water.
- Preteolytic Ezymes: Consuming the foods rich in preteolytic enzymes will help in easy digestion of foods. People suffering from flatulence should consume fruits like kiwis, papayas and pineapples in abundance. Papayas are rich in enzymes called papain which mimics the action of digestive enzymes and it attacks the food proteins which hampers the digestion. Pineapples are rich in bromelin which can curb the action of stomach parasites in the body. Similarly kiwis contain preteolytic enzymes like actidin which helps to promote digestion, and inhibit the formation of gases.
Flatulence Diet: Food Restrictions
- Lactose: Many of the people who experience flatulence suffer from lactose intolerance. They are unable to digest the milk due to low lactase levels. People suffering from flatulence should avoid milk because it can cause gas formation.
- Gluten: Gluten is another flatulence inducing substance. The gluten laid products produce the same results as lactose.
- Carbonated Drinks: Carbonated drinks are laced with chemicals which trigger flatulence and cause more harm to the stomach. People following flatulence diet should stay away from carbonated drinks as much as possible and instead go for natural drinks like butter milk, juice, etc.