Fibromyalgia diet is a specific kind of food choice which aim to control the symptoms of fibromyalgia. The pain in the joints coupled with sleep related problems and fatigue are the main characteristics of the disease which are minimized to some extent by following a particular diet plan. The reason attributed to the condition is genetic and there is no complete cure for it except to treat the symptoms. It has been seen that certain food products like chocolates, caffeine based beverages as well as citrus foods tend to aggravate the condition while whole grains and nuts are believed to provide a degree of relief to the aching joints and general fatigue.
Fibromyalgia Diet: Characteristics
The diet formulated for fibromyalgia patients does not completely improve the condition nor is it effective in reversing the muscular disorder totally. The only improvement that the diet has been associated with is temporary relief from pain and sleepiness which cannot be combated by energy booster drinks containing caffeine.
The food choices are not standardized as different people tend to have different effects depending on the secondary and tertiary conditions that may be present along with fibromyalgia. Research studies have found certain food items to have a positive effect as far as muscular pain is concerned. The common foods that are recommended to be consumed as a part of the fibromyalgia diet are:-
- Fresh vegetables and fruits barring the citrus group.
- Lean cuts of meat including fish and poultry.
- Omega 3 fatty acid containing food products like fish oil or a dietary supplement.
- Vitamin supplements in the form of multi vitamin pills.
- Adopting a completely vegetarian diet is often found to be useful in controlling the symptoms of the disease.
Fibromyalgia: Dietary Restrictions
- Aspartame- An artificial sweetener is believed to increase the intensity of pain.
- MSG- A flavoring agent, high in sodium is additive and considered to be harmful for the patients diagnosed with the disease.
- Nitrates- The nitrate laden foods like bacon, bologna and ham are advised to be avoided by the patients of fibromyalgia.
- Carbonated Drinks- Fizzy drinks sweetened with fructose need to be avoided completely.
- Caffeine- Tea, Coffee and colas are believed to increase the pain associated with the disease.
- Baked Foods- Confectionary items as well as those containing yeast or gluten are strictly prohibited for the fibromyalgia patients.
- Dairy Products- Milk along with the other products derived from it can enhance the symptoms considerably.
Fibromyalgia Diet Plan
- Breakfast- Fresh juice, oatmeal cereal and egg white omelet along with soy sausages or rashers of bacon can provide the fibromyalgia patients with adequate energy.
- Lunch- Raw vegetable salad along with a bowl of steamed rice and whole grain cereals along with grilled fish and fresh fruit for dessert can be beneficial for the patients.
- Dinner- Turkey or chicken sandwiches along with tofu and a platter of steamed vegetables can help the patients lead a relatively healthy life without suffering unduly from the debilitating symptoms.
Most medical professionals also recommend several small meals throughout the day instead of three main meals. Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses of purified water is an important part of the fibromyalgia diet.