Cornflake Diet is a diet that involves the use of only cornflakes to help an individual get rid of excess body weight. As such, cereal diets are quite common, featuring the use of one particular cereal for its health benefits. The guiding principal of such a diet is that by using cornflakes as a meal substitute, one can ingest lesser number of calories than he/she would normally, by consuming a regular meal. Research reports indicate how the use of corn flakes, instead of a regular meal, may aid weight loss as well as deliver other health returns over commercial meal replacers.
Advantages of Cornflake Diet
- In spite of the fact that on an average, corn flakes provide no more than refined cereal and sugar, fortified versions may provide additional vitamins, and minerals.
- They can pass off as a light meal, low in calories and fat but providing instant energy. With the use of low-fat or skim milk in preparing corn flakes, this cereal provides only about 120 calories per serving.
- Weight loss could result from consumption of the corn flake diet over a period of time as calorie intake is limited and portion sizes can be easily controlled.
- Corn flakes meals are obviously easy to prepare and convenient to use.
- Since corn flakes are widely available, relatively less expensive, and acceptable due to the flavor aspect, they can be had at any time, this diet may turn out to be effective.
Disadvantages of Cornflake Diet
Nutritional deficiencies may arise if careful planning of the diet is not undertaken.
One of the simplest measures to improve the nutritive value of the cornflake diet is by the addition of fresh or dry fruits such as bananas, strawberries or apples; almonds, raisins and black currants.