Colorectal Cancer Diet
Colorectal cancer diet is a diet plan is recommended for people suffering from cancerous colon, rectum and/ or vermiform appendix. Inclusion of fresh fruits, vegetables and other high fiber foods is an essential element of a holistic plan to combat colorectal cancer.
Diet for Colorectal Cancer Patients: Foods to Consume
A high fiber, nutritious and natural diet with low inclusion of meats is recommended for patients suffering from colorectal cancer, as it tends to prevent growth of cancer. Foods should be able to meet the nutritional deficiencies of the body, while strengthening the immune system which will fortify the body against further attack by cancer. Vitamins, minerals, enzymes, easily digestible proteins and complex carbohydrates are generally included in a colorectal cancer diet. Here are the specific foods to focus on-
- Fresh fruits
- Calcium rich sea vegetables and Kale, as well as vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, winter squash and broccoli
- Whole grains
- Leguminous foods like lentils and beans
- Good fats like olive oil
- Foods rich in omega 3 acids like seafood
- Soy products, which are a better protein alternative than meat for cancer patients as phytonutrients present in it prevent the growth of tumour.
Diet for Colorectal Cancer Patients: Foods to Avoid
The following types of foods should be avoided as they are known to worsen the condition of the patient-
- Foods rich in oil and fat, like deep-fried foods
- Sugar rich foods like sweets, desserts, etc.
- Red meat, as well as processed meats, especially those containing nitrates and nitrites
- Cigarettes and Alcohol
- Processed oils and fats, like trans as well as hydrogenated fats. These can be found in foods like margarine, chips, baked products, etc.
Colorectal Cancer Diet Plan
A colorectal cancer prevention and control diet plan must follow the following principles-
- Eating small, nutritious meals at shorter intervals
- Consuming fluids after and not during meals
- Switching to a plant based diet from an animal based diet.
Colorectal Cancer Prevention Diet: Trivia
- Various medications and food supplements are prescribed to prevent growth of colorectal cancer. Supplements should be made a part of the colorectal diet only after consultation with the doctor as some like vitamins C and E are known to decrease the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
- Losing weight and exercising regularly are other lifestyle methods of reducing the risk of colorectal cancer.
The following links can be visited for more information about how to control colorectal cancer with diet-