Chronic Kidney Disease Diet
Chronic kidney disease diet program includes foods which would help in maintaining a proper balance between fluids, electrolytes and minerals present within the body in case of people who are undergoing dialysis treatment for proper kidney functioning. People suffering from chronic kidney disease should lay special emphasis on their diet as the dialysis treatment only is not enough for getting rid of all toxins from the body.
Features of Kidney Disease Diet Program
The features of the diet program for chronic kidney disease are revealed here:
- The diet program specifically recommends restricting the consumption of liquids as kidney disease sufferers do not urinate much, hence resulting in the buildup of liquids within the body in ankles, heart and lungs, which may worsen the condition.
- Chronic kidney disease diet program emphasizes on consumption of foods which are low in protein content. Fresh fruits, whole grains, and green vegetables are good options and also help in providing all the required minerals, vitamins and fiber content to the body.
- Further the diet program recommends increasing the calorie intake, in case of excessive weight loss due to kidney disease. This would help in preventing break down of tissues. Good sources of calories include polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats like sunflower oil, olive oil and canola oil. Saturated fats are bad fats and hence should be avoided.
- Vitamin D and calcium supplements are recommended as per the chronic kidney disease diet program, so as to strengthen the bones.
- Extra amount of iron is normally required by the patents suffering from kidney disease. Chicken, cereals, and kidney beans are a few examples of iron rich foods.
Kidney Disease Diet Restrictions
The dietary restrictions which should be followed by the sufferers of chronic kidney disease are given below:
- The kidney disease diet program puts a restriction on consumption of excessive amount of phosphorus, salt and potassium, as the bones may become weak due to intake of these minerals. Also, the kidney disease sufferer may face itching in the entire body.
- Kidney disease patients may have to cut down on the intake of carbohydrates, if they have excess body weight or are also suffering from the problem of diabetes.
- Liquids and foods rich in liquid content should be restricted. A few examples include grapes, ice cream, melons, celery, tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Further, the chronic kidney disease diet program suggests decreasing the intake of dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt in the diet.
Reference Sources for Kidney Disease Diet
For detailed information, visit the following link: