Berocca is a multivitamin diet supplement manufactured by a German pharmaceutical company called Bayer, which contains vitamins of the B group, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, biotin, etc. Berocca benefits include providing energy and strength to people with fast paced lifestyles and unmet nutritional needs. The supplement is marketed in Columbia, Argentina, Finland, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay, Russia, Norway, the European Union, Ukraine, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, South Africa, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.
History of Berocca
The drug was originally manufactured by a company called Roche Pharmaceuticals, which was taken over by Bayer in January 2005.
The tablet is available in Original, Tropical and Orange flavors. It is available as a standard tablet or as an effervescent tablet that dissolves quickly in water to make a refreshing drink. In the dissolved form it is more easily digested by the stomach.
The tablet contains citric acid, vitamin C, sodium hydrogen carbonate, calcium carbonate, mannitol, flavoring, magnesium carbonate, sodium carbonate, coloring agents (beta carotene and beetroot red), sweetening agents(acesulfame K, aspartame), niacin, zinc citrate, sodium chloride, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, Vitamins B6 and B12, polysorbate 60 (anti-foaming agent), folacin, biotin and a source of phenylalanine.
Active Ingredients: The composition of active ingredients includes 15 mg vitamin B1 (Thiamine hydrochloride), 15 mg vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), 50 mg vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide), 23 mg vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid), 10 mg vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride), 10 mcg vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), 500 mg vitamin C (Ascorbic acid), 100 mg Calcium, 150 mcg vitamin H (Biotin), 400 mcg Folic acid, 100 mg Magnesium and 10 mg Zinc.
The recommended daily dosage is one tablet a day for people of the age 12 and above.
• A Berocca tablet contains 40mg of sodium (273mg for the Australia and New Zealand variant).
• Consumption of this supplement causes yellowness in urine color as the excess vitamin B2, not absorbed by the body, is passed out through urine.
The tablet is known to have the following benefits-
• It completes the day to day nutritional needs of the body and thus helps prevent deficiencies and poor health due to a stressful lifestyle and lack of a balanced diet.
• It helps in keeping the mind alert and improving concentration.
• It prevents undesired side effects of artificial colors, stimulant and sweeteners, as it does not contain such substances.
• It prevents hangovers when taken before consuming alcohol. Studies in alcohol consuming groups found that the hangover symptoms of those who had taken the drug before drinking had reduced symptoms of hangover.
Berocca was the winner of the Boots Vitamin Award for being the Best Energy Supplement as voted by Boots customers for the years 2004-2009.