Baked Potato Diet
Baked Potato Diet is the diet that includes the use of potato, the high carbohydrate starchy vegetable, to assist in weight loss. This may come as a revelation to many, since potato is most often avoided in weight control programs.However, the potato is certainly a healthy and nutrient-rich vegetable that can be made an integral part of the dietary regimen. The significant factor is the treatment or the culinary process used to prepare the potato before bringing it to the table. Thus the humble potato can play a starring role in a well thought-out weight loss program.
Features and Benefits of Baked Potato Diet
- Baked potatoes can be converted into high calorie foods with the addition of cream cheese or butter whereas the same baked potatoes can be converted into a weight watcher’s delight by using healthy fillings or toppings such as sprouts or pureed spinach. In this manner the meal is supplemented with good proteins along with the starch which also tends to keep one full for longer.
- Some experts consider the potato a super food as it is packed with vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B6, C, Manganese and Potassium.
- The baked potato diet proves to be a good option for persons who have a hectic schedule to follow and have no time to cook up elaborate meals. Baked potatoes are easily prepared in little time.
- In terms of nutritional value, the average sized (~100g ) baked potato supplies about 165 calories which happens to be significantly less than fried snacks such as potato chips or French fries which offer 220 calories or more per 100 g.
- Potato as such is a vegetable that easily lends itself to a variety of flavours and tastes. Instead of butter, cream or cheese, use of vegetables like carrots, peas, beans, tomatoes as stuffing; use of different low fat sauces, many different herbs and spices all enhance the flavour of baked potatoes while keeping them healthy and wholesome.
- With sufficient levels of daily exercise, the baked potato diet can assist in weight loss over a period of time.
Interesting Baked Potato Diet Recipes
- Baked potato slices topped with grated low-fat cottage cheese, red, yellow and green bell peppers slivers and grated carrot.
- Baked potato mash with Indian spices, onions and parsley.
- Baked potato wedges served with avocado dip.
- Cubed and Baked potato in Indian curry.
- Baked potato topped with date and cranberry sauce.
Potato in the boiled or baked form is harmless, when portion control is exercised, while it is the high-fat fried version that is high in calorie content. Fried potato chips supply 230 calories (and 140 calories from fat) as against the 130 calories (and only 15 calories from fat) per bag from baked potato chips.