Sugared Date Squares
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chocolate piece||6 Ounce|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
2) In a bowl, combine and sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
3) In a saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, shortening, water and vanilla.
4) Simmer till the dates soften.
5) Take off from the heat.
6) Add in the chocolate pieces.
7) Stir till melted, then beat in the eggs.
8) Stir in the flour mix, alternating with milk,
9) Add in the walnuts and mix well.
10) Spread batter in the baking pan.
11) Place in the oven at 350 degrees, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
12) Cool in the pan and cut into squares.
13) Roll in powdered sugar.