Date Nut Loaves
|Pitted dates||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (Use 1 Stick)|
|Firmly packed light-brown sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Use a scissor to cut the dates into thirds into a medium sized bowl
2. Add the nuts to the same bowl and then pour in the boiling water
3. Let this cool to room temperature. This will take 45 minutes
4. Grease four 5 3/4 by-3'/4-by-2'/4-inch loaf pans and set aside till required
5. Preheat the oven to 350F
6. In a large bowl, sift the flour with the baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside
7. In a the large bowl of an electric mixer, tip in the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat well till the ingredients are smooth
8. Add the cooled dates mixture and beat well
9. Add the flour mixture and beat with a wooden spoon and beat well again
10. Turn the mixture into the greased baking pans and then bake for one hour till the cake is done.
11. Remove the cakes from the hot oven and set then aside on a wire rack to cool. These cakes freeze well and they can be wrapped in foil and then placed in the freezer till required.
12. Remove the loaves from the freezers when required and then let thaw at room temperature.
13. Serve warm or thawed.