Spicy Date Squares
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Chopped dates||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped nut meats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Line and grease a 13 x 9 inch oblong pan.
2. Sift the sugar slowly into the beaten eggs, blending thoroughly after each addition.
3. Mix in the dates and nuts.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
5. Add them to the egg mixture with the vanilla, and beat the batter until well blended.
6. Turn the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes at 325°F. When cool, cut into squares.