Date Nut Ring
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon (2 Packages)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Sifted all purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Pitted dates||6 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Sifted 10x confectioners' powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a small saucepan, scald milk stirring in butter or margarine, sugar and salt. Once all the ingredients are dissolved, take out from heat and allow to cool till lukewarm.
2. In a large bowl, put moderately hot water and sprinkle yeast. Stir till all the yeast is dissolved. Stir in the above milk mixture and add the eggs.
3. Add half the flour and stir in vigorously till it the dough becomes smooth.
4. Add the remaining flour in portion to form a smooth dough that does not stick to the edges of the bowl.
5. On a floured pastry cloth or board, take the ball of dough and knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour constantly on the board so that the dough does not stick to the board
6. In a large bowl, greased with shortening lightly, place the ball of dough and cover with clean towel. Keep aside in a warm place for about 50 minutes or until the dough doubles in bulk.This makes the basic sweet dough.
7. In small saucepan combine dates, sugar, and water; bring to boiling. Allow to simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Once removed from heat add in the nuts and cool.
8. Roll 1/3 dough into rectangle, 10x16; spread with butter or margarine and date-nut mixture. Fold one long side to center. Fold other long side over, forming 3 layers and sealing the edges.
9. Place on buttered baking sheet.
10. Cut lengthwise through middle to within 1 inch of one end. Twist strips around each other to form braid and seal ends. Starting with uncut end, wind braid around itself and tuck outer end under edge. Press firmly to seal.
11. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise in warm place, away from draft, about 30 minutes, or until double in bulk.
12. In moderate oven (350° F.) bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
13. Cool on cake rack or kitchen counter.
14. As a garnish sift 10X sugar over top.
15. Serve as dessert after dinner.
16. Serve with tea or coffee in the mornings for breakfast or tea-time
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5343 Calories from Fat 1701
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 193 g296.8%
Saturated Fat 94.6 g473.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 793.1 mg264.4%
Sodium 2188.6 mg91.2%
Total Carbohydrates 817 g272.2%
Dietary Fiber 39.8 g159.2%
Sugars 309.2 g
Protein 103 g205%
Vitamin A 95.7% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 50% Iron 203.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet