|Pitted dates||1 Pound, cut|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Sifted flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), firmly packed|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Uncooked)|
1) Grease a 15 x 11-inch baking pan.
2) In a saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, corn syrup, orange juice, orange rind, and salt.
3) Allow to boil.
4) Stir frequently and cook till thick.
6) Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, soda, and salt.
7) Add in the shortening and blend well using a fork.
8) Mix in the brown sugar and till smooth.
9) Stir in the oats.
10) Knead till well blended.
11) Add half the dough into the baking pan and spread evenly.
12) Taking 2 sheets of waxed paper, add the remaining dough and roll into a rectangle the same size as the pan.
13) Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
14) Add the date mix over the oatmeal layer.
15) Top with the chilled layer oatmeal mix.
16) Place in the oven at 350° F and bake for 30 minutes.
17) Cool and cut into squares.
18) Serve as a delicious healthy snack.