Date Pecan Chews
|Sifted all purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Pitted dates||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Package)|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Coating)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
2. Beat eggs in a large bowl until light and foamy; slowly beat in the 1 cup sugar; continue beating until mixture is thick and fluffy. Stir in orange juice.
3. Fold in flour mixture, dates, pecans and orange peel. Spread mixture evenly in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 25 minutes, or until golden and top springs back when pressed with fingertip. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
5. Cut lengthwise into 9 strips and crosswise into 8 to make 72 pieces, about 1x1 1/2 inches each. Roll each in sugar in a pie plate to coat generously. (Cookies are soft and will roll into a log.)