|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
– Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
– Butter a square 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
– In a saucepan, boil dates with water and brown sugar until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool.
– In a bowl, combine butter, sugar, and egg yolks. Add vanilla extract, then dry ingredients.
– Pour batter into mold and top with dates.
– In a separate bowl, beat egg whites into stiff peaks, add brown sugar and stir.
– Pour egg whites over dates and bake 45 minutes. Cut into squares.