Mexican Caramel Flan
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light cream/Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped stiff|
1) Preheat the oven to 325 F.
2) In a non-stick pan, place 3/4 cup of sugar.
3) Simmer, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and forms a syrup.
4) Slowly stream in the water.
5) Quickly stream syrup into six 6-ounce custard cups and set aside.
6) In a saucepan, heat together milk and cream until bubbles form around edge of pan.
7) In a bowl, using an electric beater, beat eggs slightly.
8) Mix in the sugar, salt and vanilla.
9) Slowly stir in hot milk mixture and the brandy.
10) Gently stream 1/2 cup custard into each prepared custard cup.
11) Place the cups in a shallow pan and pour in boiling water to 1/2-inch level around cups.
12) Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
13) Take out the cups from water.
14) Allow to cool and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
15) Loosen by running small spatula around edge of cups.
16) Turn out the custards on serving dish and shake gently to release.
17) Fill whipped cream into a pastry bag with small star nozzle.
18) Pipe the cream around edges and serve chilled.
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36.1%
Saturated Fat 13.8 g69.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 181.3 mg60.4%
Sodium 152.6 mg6.4%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 35.7 g
Protein 6 g11.3%
Vitamin A 17.2% Vitamin C 0.6%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 2.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet