Savory Lattice Flan
|Short crust pastry/Flaky pastry||6 Ounce|
|Pork sausage meat||8 Ounce|
|Mixed herbs||1 Pinch|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Brown table sauce/Chutney||2 Tablespoon|
|For the glaze:|
1) Preheat the oven to 450F.
2) Roll out a large part of the short crust or flaky pastry.
3) Line a 7-inch sandwich tin, a plain flan ring or an overturned baking tray with the rolled out pastry.
4) In a bowl, mix together the pork sausage meat along with the herbs.
5) Transfer the mixture onto a floured wooden surface and shape into about 12 flat cakes.
6) In a pan, melt the lard. Add in the cakes and fry them till they turn golden brown on both sides. Drain the cakes on paper towels.
7) Into the pan, add in the onions and tomatoes. Saute in the remaining fat till the vegetables soften.
8) Transfer the meat cakes along with the sauted vegetables into the pastry lined mould.
9) Pour the brown table sauce or chutney over the mixture and spread it out evenly.
10) Slice the remaining pastry into thin strips. Arrange the strips over the mixture forming a lattice design.
11) Brush the strips with beaten egg or egg yolk.
12) Place the tin in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
13) Turn down the oven temperature to moderate and continue to bake for 15 more minutes.
14) Serve the Savoury Lattice Flan with green salad on the side.