French Apricot Flan
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Icing sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Egg white||1 Teaspoon (to glaze)|
|Castor sugar||1 Ounce|
|Flour||1⁄2 Ounce (preferably plain)|
|Almond essence/Vanilla essence||3 Drop|
|Apricot halves||1 1⁄4 Can (12.5 oz) (large can)|
|Apricot jam||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (2 level dessertspoons)|
|Water||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 scant dessertspoon)|
1. In a saucepan, heat jam and water.
2. Strain. Reheat the liquid till it starts boiling. Keep it aside to cool.
3. Thicken it slightly before using, for a hot glaze would spoil the pastry.
4. In a bowl, sieve flour and icing sugar.
5. Add butter and mix it so that the mixture represents fine breadcrumbs.
6. Make a paste by adding egg yolks and milk.
7. Knead it lightly into dough and leave it covered in a cool place for a minimum 30 minutes.
8. Make a ball from the dough and roll it on a board dusted with flour so that it becomes oblong, about 13 by 7 ½ inches.
9. Make two ¾ inch wide strips lengthwise and brush it with egg white.
10. Place it again on the oblong piece along the both cut edges so as to form a raised border.
11. Apply pressure lightly to seal it and the edges. Do it with the back of a knife.
12. With a fork, prick the base. Apply egg white with a brush to the borders. Bake at the top of a moderately hot to hot oven (400-425ºF or Gas Mark 5-6) for 20 minutes.
13. Let it cool on a baking tray and then transfer to a wire tray.
14. To prepare the filling, in a saucepan of hot water, add egg and sugar.
15. Blend it till it becomes thick and white.
16. Add flour, essence and milk.
17. Heat it slowly till it boils. Remember to keep stirring it.
18. Remove from flame immediately and cool. Refrigerate.
19. Spread it thickly over the pastry base.
20. Place apricot halves over the cream filling and apply cool glaze.
21. Serve French Apricot Flan by slicing it.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2452 Calories from Fat 1004
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g175.5%
Saturated Fat 66.2 g330.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 839 mg279.7%
Sodium 163.4 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 326 g108.8%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.6%
Sugars 124.3 g
Protein 37 g73.7%
Vitamin A 209.5% Vitamin C 59.1%
Calcium 31.7% Iron 25.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet