Baked Caramel Custard
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hot milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a mold put 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water.
3. Heat the sugar until it caramelizes and turns dark brown.
4. Dip mold immediately into pan of cold water for 2 to 3 seconds.
5. Tilt the pan to cover bottom and sides of mold.
6. In medium-size bowl add eggs, yolks, and 1/2 cup sugar.
7. Beat the mixture until foamy.
8. Add 1 1/4 cups hot milk and mix.
9. Stir in remaining milk, salt, and vanilla.
10. Strain the sauce through a sieve and remove coagulated egg.
11. Spoon the mixture into mold.
12. Skim the foam from top.
13. In a larger pan set mold.
14. Pour boiling water around mold until half.
15. Keep on the lowest rack of oven.
16. Bake the custard for 45 minutes.
17. Chill the custard.
18. Run a knife around edge to unmold. Place on lukewarm water for 1 to 2 minutes.
19. Careful unmold on serving plate.
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.6%
Saturated Fat 3 g15.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.3 mg59.4%
Sodium 95.8 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 38.6 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 12.7% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet