Cheese and Vegetable Flan
|For the cheese pastry:|
|Finely grated cheddar cheese||3 Ounce|
|For the filling:|
|Cream cheese||6 Ounce, softened|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cooked mixed vegetables/Frozen vegetables||1 Pound (Seasonal -Carrots, Broad Beans, French Beans, Peas Etc)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
3) Put the butter in and rub until the mixture gets grainy texture.
4) Blend in cheese, and enough water to make a stiff dough.
5) Wrap in foil, then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6) Dust flour over the working table and roll out the dough.
7) Using the rolled dough sheet line a 12 inch flan ring and set on a baking sheet.
8) Bake without any filling in the oven for 15 minutes.
9) In a bowl, whisk together cream cheese until smooth and beat in the eggs, milk and seasoning to taste.
10) Place the vegetables the base of pastry case and spoon the cream cheese mixture over them.
11) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until the filling is set.
12) Allow to cool over a wire rack, to remove the flan ring.
13) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Freeze the flan until firm.
14) Wrap the flan in foil and pack in freezer bag.
15) Seal, label and return to freezer.
16) Serve hot with small mixed salad.
17) If using the frozen flan, take off the wrapping and place the flan on a baking sheet and thaw for 4 hours at room temperature.
18) Reheat in a preheated moderately hot oven for 25 minutes or until well heated.
19) Serve as mentioned in step 16.
Calories 693 Calories from Fat 385
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.2%
Saturated Fat 25.6 g127.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 226.6 mg75.5%
Sodium 786.8 mg32.8%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.4%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 22 g43.2%
Vitamin A 49.9% Vitamin C 11.1%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 21.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet