Smoked Haddock and Cottage Cheese Flan
|Smoked haddock fillets||1⁄2 Pound|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Lemon||1 , finely grated rind|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Button mushrooms||2 Ounce, sliced|
|Baked pastry case||8 Inch|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Single cream||3 Tablespoon|
|Cottage cheese||4 Ounce|
|Freshly chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon wedges||6 (To Garnish:)|
|Parsley sprig||4 (To Garnish:)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F
2) In a pan, place the fish, water and half of the lemon juice and poach gently until tender.
3) Using a slotted ladle remove fish.
4) Skin and flake the flesh.
5) In a pan, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft.
6) Stir in the mushrooms, for 1 minute, lightly fold in the fish.
7) Spoon the mixture in the base of the pastry case and place on a baking sheet.
8) In a bowl, mix together egg, cream, cheese, parsley, seasoning, rind and remaining juice.
9) Spoon the egg mixture over the fish mixture
10) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the filling is set.
11) Allow to cool over a wire rack.
12) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Freeze the flan until firm.
13) Wrap the flan in foil and pack in freezer bag.
14) Seal, label and return to freezer.
15) Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges and parsley just before serving.
16) If using the frozen flan, take off the wrapping and place on the baking sheet.
17) Reheat from frozen in the preheated moderate oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.
18) Serve as mentioned in step 14.
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 116
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.2 mg43.7%
Sodium 265.3 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 20 g39.1%
Vitamin A 16.4% Vitamin C 65.9%
Calcium 9.2% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet