Coffee Cream Flan
|Digestive biscuits||1⁄2 Pound (crushed)|
|Butter||3 Ounce (melted)|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Instant coffee powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Coffee flavored liqueur||2 Tablespoon|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (stiffly whipped)|
|Hazelnuts||2 Ounce (toasted and skinned)|
1) In a bowl combine the crushed biscuits and butter together.
2) Then press into the bottom and sides of a 8 inch fluted flan ring placed on a baking sheet; refrigerate until the crust is firm.
3) In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
4) In another bowl, blend the coffee powder, 2 tablespoons water and liqueur together; then gradually beat into the egg mixture.
5) In a heatproof bowl, soften the gelatin in 2 tablespoons water for 5 minutes.
6) Then place the bowl in a pan of hot water and stir gently, until dissolved.
7) Allow to cool, then stir into the coffee mixture and keep until just it begins to set.
8) In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the coffee mixture until thoroughly blended.
9) Spoon the coffee mixture into the chilled biscuit crust.
10) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Freeze, remove the flan ring, then pack in a freezer bag, seal, label and freeze.
11) Pipe swirls of whipped cream around the top edge of the Coffee Cream Flan, garnish with hazelnuts and serve.
12) If using the frozen dish, unwrap, place the flan on a serving platter and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Serve as indicated in step 11.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3252 Calories from Fat 1974
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 218 g336.1%
Saturated Fat 71.5 g357.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 605.8 mg201.9%
Sodium 1510.1 mg62.9%
Total Carbohydrates 264 g87.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.5%
Sugars 139.1 g
Protein 51 g101.2%
Vitamin A 52.5% Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 33.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet