Fall Apple Polenta Flan
|Full fat milk||1 Liter (4 Cups)|
|Caster sugar||13 Tablespoon (3/4 Cup, Plus 3 Teaspoons For Dusting)|
|Butter||45 Gram (1 Stick)|
|Grated lemon zest||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange zest||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Polenta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sultanas/Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), soaked till plump, then drained|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Full fat cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apples||2 Medium, peeled, cored and thinly sliced then tossed in lemon juice|
|Lemon juice||1 Fluid Ounce (For Tossing Sliced Apples)|
|Maple syrup/Honey||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use More If You Like)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4
2. Grease a shallow loose-bottomed cake tin or springform pan.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, butter, sugar, zest and salt.
4. Simmer slowly, over medium high, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
5. Bring the milk to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
6. Add the polenta all at once and stir to mix.
7. Cover the pan and cook the polenta for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the sultanas, walnuts, and cream.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
10. Layer the apple slices over the batter, neatly arranging them in a circle, slightly overlapping the slices.
11. Drizzle honey or maple syrup over the apple slices and generously sprinkle the cinnamon
12. Bake the flan for 30 to 35 minutes or until the apple slices are soft and lightly golden and the flan leaves the side of the pan. Keep an eye on it, you may need to cover it with some foil if you find that it starts to brown too much at the edges.
13. Remove and let cool slightly before removing from tin.
14. Before serving, sprinkle over some caster sugar. Then make sure you eat it warm with a drizzle of maple syrup or with a dollop of crème fraîche!
You can make the flan with pears or peaches if you like.
You can add figs or apricot or pecan instead of walnuts.
This flan can also be made as a cake using 2 eggs and 1 cup flour.
Calories 874 Calories from Fat 306
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.2%
Saturated Fat 18 g89.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90.3 mg30.1%
Sodium 195.1 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 134 g44.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 92.8 g
Protein 14 g28.7%
Vitamin A 22.2% Vitamin C 21.5%
Calcium 35% Iron 13.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet