Almond and Apricot Flan
|Fresh apricots||1 Pound, halved and stoned|
|Sugar syrup||8 Ounce (Made By Dissolving 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar In 1/2 Pint Water)|
|Apricot jam||2 Tablespoon, sieved|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint, whipped, sweetened with little caster sugar and flavored with kirsch|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), blanched and split|
|For almond pastry|
|Plain flour||6 Ounce|
|Ground almonds||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
1) Make sugar syrup to poach fruit.
2) In the sugar syrup, arrange apricots cut side up and gently allow to boil.
3) Let the syrup boil over the fruit and then reduce heat.
4) Place a lid over the pan and gently simmer till fruit is thoroughly cooked and tender.
5) For the pastry, rub in the fats into the flour and then add the ground almonds and sugar.
6) In a bowl, add the egg yolk and mix with water and add to the dry ingredients.
7) Lightly work to form a firm dough and then chill for a short while.
8) Use rolled out dough to line the flan ring and place in oven at 375°F or Mark 5 for about 10-15 to bake blind.
9) To dry the base of the flan, allow the pastry to firm and then remove the paper and beans (used for baking blind) and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes without allowing it to color.
10) Drain the poached apricots and boil the juice till thick.
11) Add the jam and stir till dissolved.
12) Strain and if required, thicken with slaked arrowroot. Cool.
13) Fill the flan with whipped cream and apricots.
14) Top with almonds and brush with glaze.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4184 Calories from Fat 2212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 249 g383.8%
Saturated Fat 54.3 g271.6%
Trans Fat 3.7 g
Cholesterol 368 mg122.7%
Sodium 159.8 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 462 g154.1%
Dietary Fiber 18.2 g72.8%
Sugars 304.2 g
Protein 33 g66.3%
Vitamin A 221.6% Vitamin C 75.6%
Calcium 21.1% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet