Baked Caramel Custard
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 325 degrees.
2) Over low heat, scald the milk and cool it slightly.
3) Combine together the slightly beaten egg yolks, whole eggs and ½ cup of sugar in a bowl and mix well. Gradually stir in the milk.
4) Add the vanilla and stir well. Set the mixture aside.
5) Stir ½ cup of sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat till it has melted.
6) Once the sugar is brown, take it off the heat.
7) Into a 1-quart casserole, pour the melted sugar.
8) Coat the sides of the casserole with the sugar syrup by rotating it.
9) Into the casserole, pour the custard.
10) Put the casserole in a shallow baking pan on the oven rack. Around the casserole, pour hot water to depth of 1 inch.
11) Bake in preheated oven for about 1 ¼ hours, till a knife inserted half way between the center and edge emerges out clean.
12) Chill the custard.
13) Unmold the custard onto a serving platter and serve chilled. Makes a good dessert.