Yummy Creme Brulee
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Egg yolks||2 , slightly beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light cream||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Combine together the whole eggs, egg yolks, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup of sugar in top of a double boiler.
2) Slowly stir in the cream and mix well.
3) Cook the mixture, constantly stirring, over gently boiling water, till the custard starts to coat a metal spoon. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4) Cool the custard right away by placing the pan in a sink or bowl of cold water and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
5) Add the vanilla and stir well.
6) Into a shallow 1 ½ quart dish, pour the custard and chill it.
7) Combine together the egg whites and salt and beat till the minute forms soft peaks.
8) Add ¼ cup of sugar very gradually, beating till stiff peaks start to form.
9) Heat 3 cups of water in a skillet, to a gentle simmer. Ensure that there is no boiling.
10) In 6 puffs, drop the meringue onto the water.
11) Cook, uncovered, till the meringue puffs have set (About 5 minutes), and then drain on paper toweling.
12) On the custard, arrange the poached meringues.
13) Cook and stir the 1 cup of sugar over low heat in a heavy skillet, till the sugar melts and form a syrup.
14) Drizzle the syrup from the tip of a spoon all over the custard and meringue puffs immediately.
15) Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.