|Plain 81% stone ground flour||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Margarine||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|For the filling|
|Margarine||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Onions||12 Ounce, sliced (375 Gram)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Finely chopped spinach||8 Ounce, frozen (1 Packet, 225 Gram)|
|Yeast extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, grated (175 Gram)|
1. Place the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the water quickly, mixing lightly to form a dough. Put in a polythene bag and rest the pastry in a cool place for about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. Melt the margarine, add the onions, garlic and spinach, cover and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking. Stir in the yeast extract.
4. Stir in the flour, cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
5. Beat the eggs well and add to the pan with 100 g/4 oz of the cheese, salt and pepper.
6. Roll out the pastry between two sheets of greaseproof paper. Use to line a 26-cm/10-inch fluted flan dish.
7. Add the filling and place on the centre shelf in a moderately hot oven (190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5) and cook for 25 minutes.
8. Sprinkle on remaining cheese in lines and return to the oven for a further 5-7 minutes to just melt the cheese.
9. Serve with a colourful salad and French bread.
Calories 715 Calories from Fat 419
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.6%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 203.3 mg67.8%
Sodium 519.2 mg21.6%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 21 g42.6%
Vitamin A 143.9% Vitamin C 37.8%
Calcium 40.8% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet